Form and preparation of manuscripts
Instructions for Authors who submit manuscripts in English (updated in January 2018)
1. Revista Médica de Chile accepts manuscripts to be published in English when:
a) The work was done in an English-speaking country, by authors resident in that country, or
b) The authors reside in a non-Spanish-speaking country and they feel themselves unable to prepare a manuscript in Spanish.
In both circumstances, the authors must submit a text in which English has been revised and improved by individuals familiarized with scientific/medical writing in English.
2. Manuscripts are considered with the understanding that they (or important parts of its content) have not been published in print nor electronic format and are not under consideration by another publication or electronic medium. The manuscript’s eligibility for publication is decided by the editors or after external peer-review.
3. All manuscripts should follow the recommendations established in the «ICMJE Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals” (“ICMJE Recommendations”)» by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors, accessible in the website www.icmje.org. The manuscript format should be adapted to the style shown by recent publications in Revista Médica de Chile, that can be accessed at the website www.scielo.cl.
4. The manuscript should be prepared in WORD format, in letter-size pages numbered consecutively in the upper right corner. Use Times New Roman, font size 12, spaced 1.5 pt, with justification to the left margin only. At the bottom of the Title Page provide a word count for text only, from the Introduction to the end of Discussion (excluding Title Page, Abstract, Acknowledgements, References, Tables, Figures). The acceptable length is up to 2,500 words in Research Articles or 3,000 words in Reviews. Brief Reports should not exceed 1.200 words, two Tables, two Figures and 20 References. Case Reports should not exceed 1,500 words, and they can add up to 2 Tables or Figures and 20 References. Letters to the Editor can be extended up to 1,000 words, adding up to 6 references and 1 Table or Figure that should not exceed one half page space in the journal. Brief Communications should not exceed 1000 words, can add up to 2 Tables, 1 Figure and 12 References.
5. Title page with: 1) The manuscript title and a short title (this one with a maximum of 60 characters, spaces included); 2) Authors’ first name and last name (Middle initial can be added at authors’ discretion), identifying with roman numerals at the end of each authors’ last name: 3) Work site (Division, Department, Institution, City, Country); 4) Identification of the corresponding author, including e-mail, print mail address and telephone numbers; 5) Financial support for this work, including research or project support/funding, specifying the entities´ participation in work´s inception, protocol design, data collection and handling, manuscript preparation, etc.; 6) Number of Tables and Figures attached to the manuscript. 7) Word count (see above in 4.). Each following Section must begin in a new page.
6. Abstract, with a structured format when pertinent and a recommended maximum length of 250 words. The editors will prepare a translation into Spanish and the Abstract will be published both in English and Spanish. For indexing purposes, the authors should provide 3 to 5 key words selected from Index Medicus, Medical Subjects Headings (MeSH Browser), accessible at www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/ and in Google.
8. Material and Methods (or Patients and Methods). When the study was done in humans, the protocol’s approval by an institutional Ethics Committee for Investigation in Human Subjects must be identified.
10. Discussion and conclusions.
12. References. Numbered in the order they appear in the text, with the format according to Index Medicus and exemplified in the above mentioned «ICMJE Recommendations». List all authors up to 6; if they are 7 or more, list the first 6 followed by et al.
13. Tables and Figures. Include each of them in a separate and numbered page. Figures containing histological images, photography of lesions or surgical images should be submitted in colours; the cost of publication of colour Figures must be consulted to the editors and covered by the authors when the article is accepted. When material already published is reproduced in a Table or Figure, its original source should be identified and written permission from publishers (or other copyright owner) must be provided.
14. Include statements signed by each author for authorship responsibility and contributions; financial disclosure; and copyright transfer to Revista Médica de Chile.
15. Include a statement signed by the corresponding author that written permission has been obtained from all persons named in the Acknowledgements.
16. Authors should identify potential conflicts of interest (“COI”) by filling the updated “ICMJE Uniform Disclosure Form for Potential Conflicts of Interest”. This form can be obtained from www.icmje.org, it should be downloaded and saved as a Pdf document into the authors’ computers and filled in individually. A scanned copy of each author’s COI declaration should be uploaded as attachment to the manuscript when submitted to the Revista. Once an article is published, these forms will be made publicly available, linked to the article in the Revista’s web site in www.scielo.cl. Case reports should also be accompanied by an informed consent signed by the patient or its legal representative, indicating that he/she had access to the text and Figures of the manuscript and agrees to have it submitted to Revista Medica de Chile, with full understanding that this journal is reproduced also in an open access digital version in the internet.
17. The manuscript should be uploaded in the platform:
Http://www.revistamedicadechile.cl/ojs/index.php/rmedica/login selecting the language alternative “English”. All submissions should include a cover letter, the manuscript, Tables and Figures. Provide in separate files the manuscript, Tables, Figures, Conflict of Interest Reporting Forms and other documents.
18. Submission Fee: Authors submitting manuscripts to Revista Médica de Chile are required to pay a submission fee that applies only to manuscripts that are considered suitable to the journal’s scope and adequate for editorial review. For manuscripts coming from countries other than Chile, the payment required is US$ 120.0. Corresponding authors will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to proceed with bank deposits or bank transfers. Only the first version received requires payment. Manuscripts rejected will not have a return of this payment.
19. Accepted manuscripts are edited in accordance with
the above mentioned «ICMJE Recommendations» and the
journal’s style. A first galley proof is sent to the corresponding
author electronically for approval. Authors are responsible for all statements
made in their work, including the accuracy of the references and changes
made by the editors, authorized by the corresponding author.
Sending of manuscripts
The manuscript should be submitted electronically to email@example.com. All submissions should include a cover letter, and the manuscript, Tables and Figures, all in the same file if possible.
[About the journal] [Editorial board] [Subscription]
Sociedad Médica de Santiago
Bernarda Morín #488, Providencia
Casilla 168, Correo 55
Santiago - Chile
Tel.: (56-2) 2753 5520
Tel./Fax: (56-2) 2753 5524