SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.134 issue10Inflammatory reconstitution immune syndrome associated to antiretroviral therapy and meningeal cryptococcosis author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand

Journal

Article

Indicators

Related links

Share


Revista médica de Chile

Print version ISSN 0034-9887

Abstract

CORTES A, Claudio  and  SILVA F, Claudio. Accidental ingestion of magnets in children: Report of three cases. Rev. méd. Chile [online]. 2006, vol.134, n.10, pp.1315-1319. ISSN 0034-9887.  http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0034-98872006001000016.

Accidental ingestion of foreign bodies in childhood is an increasing problem. Although many of them can be treated with an expectant approach, allowing their passage through the gastrointestinal tract, magnets must be extracted, due to their high rate of complications, such as perforation. We report three patients that ingested magnets. A five year-old male was operated with an extensive ulceration of the jejunum, where a cylindrical magnet was extracted. A four year-old female was operated with a perforation of the anterior wall of the stomach and three magnets were extracted from the peritoneal cavity. A four year-old female, was transferred from a hospital where she had been operated for a magnet ingestion that provoked three perforations in the small bowel

Keywords : Foreign bodies; Intestinal perforation; X-rays.

        · text in Spanish     · Spanish ( pdf )

 

Creative Commons License All the contents of this journal, except where otherwise noted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License