SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

 
vol.76 número3Pesquiza precoz de nefropatía diabética en niños y adolescentes portadores de diabetes mellitus tipo 1Balance de energía, composición corporal y actividad física en preescolares eutróficos y obesos índice de autoresíndice de materiabúsqueda de artículos
Home Pagelista alfabética de revistas  

Servicios Personalizados

Revista

Articulo

Indicadores

Links relacionados

Compartir


Revista chilena de pediatría

versión impresa ISSN 0370-4106

Resumen

MENDEZ E, Benigno et al. Structure of the paediatric population attending the Emergency Service: Roberto del Rio Children´s Hospital. Rev. chil. pediatr. [online]. 2005, vol.76, n.3, pp.259-265. ISSN 0370-4106.  http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0370-41062005000300004.

Introduction: Planning and policy making for an Emergency Service (ES) requires clinical and epidemiological information about the population structure attending the ES. Objective: To study the morbidity and demographic structure of the population attending the Roberto del Rio Children´s Hospital ES. Methods: A random sample drawn from the charts of paediatric patients attending the ES during 2002, with a sample sufficiente to detect morbidity rates not lower than 0.005, with 95% confidence limits of ± 0.002. Results: Of 4 356 charts, 10.74% were refered from primary atention centers, the remaining 89.26% were self-consultants. 53% were male, mean age was 52 months (SD = 49.5). The main causes of consult were, fever 45.45%, respiratory 18.42%, digestive 16.27% and pain 10.79%. 6.5% of patients were admitted to hospital. The most frequent diagnoses were upper respiratory infection 19.7%, obstructive bronchitis 11.74%, acute diarrhea 10.63%, acute bronchitis 8.04% and fever of unknown cause 5.48%. Comments: This study allowed the first overview of the local population structure of the attending population. The absence of life threatening illnesses may have been due to the sample size. Omission of relevant clinical information was common in the clinical charts

Palabras clave : urgency services; children; population; epidemiology.

        · resumen en Español     · texto en Español

 

Creative Commons License Todo el contenido de esta revista, excepto dónde está identificado, está bajo una Licencia Creative Commons